Georgetown has a highly selective History doctoral program: we accept only 10 percent of those who apply, and incoming classes average about 8-12 students.
We use the standard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Application, available online. Please indicate on the application if you are applying for a joint program; joint program applicants must submit materials for both programs, and must be accepted by both programs in order to matriculate.
The key materials to provide with the application are:
- a 500-word, double spaced statement of purpose;
- a substantive sample of work (research papers preferred);
- GRE General Test scores (required of all PhD applicants except those submitting TOEFL or IELTS scores);
- TOEFL/IELTS where applicable;
- and three letters of recommendation.
Visit the Graduate School Catalogue as well as our Admissions FAQ for additional information on applying to the History Department. All materials must be submitted directly to the Graduate School, not the History Department.
For questions about the doctoral program, please contact Carolina Madinaveitia, Graduate Programs Manager. We strongly encourage applicants to contact their prospective mentor and other faculty members with whom they wish to pursue their doctoral degree, as well as current students in the program.