Russia and Eastern Europe
For more information about graduate studies in the Russia and Eastern Europe field please see here.
Research Interests: Imperial Russia; Ideas, culture, religion, local history
- Portrait of a Russian Province: Economy, Society, and Civilization in Nineteenth-Century Nizhnii Novgorod, University of Pittsburgh Press, 2011
Winner of the 2012 Wayne S. Vucinich Book Prize of the Association for Slavic Studies, East European and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES) for the most important contribution to Russian, Eurasian, and East European studies in any discipline of the humanities or social sciences.
- co-authored with Stephen Kotkin. The Cultural Gradient: the Transmission of Ideas in Europe, 1789-1991. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, Inc., 2002
- The Cross & the Sickle: Sergei Bulgakov and the Fate of Russian Religious Philosophy, 1890-1920.
- co-authored with David Goldfrank, Lindsey Hughes and Richard Stites. A History of Russia: Peoples, Legends, Events, Forces. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin Co., 2004
Research Interests: Russia and the Soviet Union
- Fascination and Enmity: Russia and Germany as Entangled Histories, 1914-1945.Co-edited with Peter Holquist and Alexander Martin, University of Pittsburgh Press, 2012
- Showcasing the Great Experiemnt: Cultural Diplomacy and Western Visitors to the Soviet Union, 1921-1941, New York: Oxford University Press, 2011
- Revolution of the Mind: Higher Learning among the Bolsheviks, 1918-1929, Ithaca: Cornell University Press and Studies of the Harriman Institute, 1997
Research Interests: Medieval and early modern Russia, Russian intellectual and foreign policy, Eastern Europe
- David Goldfrank, ed., Essays in Russian Monasticism, a special issue of the journal Russian History.
- David Goldfrank(Cistercian Studies No. 221 (Kalamazoo, 2008). Nil Sorsky: The Authentic Writings. Origins of the Crimean War (Origins of Modern Wars). Longman Group, 1994.
Research Interests: Early Modern East Central Europe, Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth
- Andrzej Kaminski. Republic versus Autocracy: Poland-Lithuania and Russia in the Late Seventeenth Century. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1994.
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.