Middle East and North Africa
(For more information about graduate studies in the Middle East and North Africa field, please see here.)
Research Interests: Middle East, North Africa and Western Mediterranean (medieval and modern), Muslim Spain, Colonial Algeria, Colonial education, Modern France, Franco-Maghribi relations
- Apostles of Modernity: Saint-Simonians and the French Civilizing Mission in Algeria. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press, 2010
- "Degrees of Interpretive Autonomy: Ijtihad and the Constraints of Competence and Context in Late Medieval Tilimsan." Journal of Islam and Muslim-Christian Relations 13.2 (2002): 151-161
- "The Second Algerian Crisis, 1992-1994: Algeria in the Memory of France." Arab Studies Journal 7.1 (1999): 8-33.
Research Interests: Ottoman Empire, Turkey, Early Modern Military History
Gábor Ágoston, Osmanli'da Strateji ve Askerî Güc, Timas Yayinlari, Istanbul 2012
Gábor Ágoston and Bruce Masters, eds., Encyclopedia of the Ottoman Empire, New York: Facts On File, 2009
Guns for the Sultan: Military Power and the Weapons Industry in the Ottoman Empire. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2005
Research Interests: Modern Turkey, Ottoman Empire, Middle East
- Harb-i Umumi Esiginde: Osmanli Son Savasina Nasil Girdi? Istanbul: Bilgi University Press, 2010. Turkish Edition of Ottoman Road to War
- Ottoman Road to War in 1914: The Ottoman Empire and the First World War. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, December 2008 (Paperback 2010).
Research Interests: Islam in the Twentieth Century, Muslims in North America, Qur'an and Qur'anic Exegesis, Christian-Muslim Relations, Women in Islam, Intellectual, Social, and Political History in the Arab World, Christians in the Arab World
- Becoming American? The Forging of Arab and Muslim Identity in Pluralist America Waco: Baylor University Press, 2011
- Yvonne Haddad, Farid Senzai and Jane I. Smith. Educating the Muslims of America. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009
- Yvonne Haddad, Jane I. Smith and Kathleen Moore. Muslim Women in America, Gender, Islam, and Society. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006
Research Interests: Middle East and Egypt, Women & Gender, Ottoman
- Women, Family, and Gender in Islamic Law, Cambridge University Press, 2008
- In the House of the Law: Gender and Islamic Law in Ottoman Syria and Palestine. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
- Women in Nineteenth Century Egypt, New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
Research Interests: Islamic Movements, World History
- The World in the Eighteenth Century. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- John Voll and John L. Esposito. Makers of Contemporary Islam. New York City: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- John Voll and John L. Esposito. Islam and Democracy. New York City: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- John Voll. Islam: Continuity & Change in the Modern World. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1994.
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.