Early Modern and Late Medieval Europe
Research Interests: Ottoman History, Balkans, Military History
- Osmanli'da Strateji ve Askeri Guc (Strategy and Military Power in the Ottoman Empire), Timas Yayinlari, Istanbul 2012
- Guns for the Sultan: Military Power and the Weapons Industry in the Ottoman Empire. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press [Turkish and German editions, 2006, 2010], 2005.
- Gábor Ágoston, Balázs Sudár. Gül Baba és bektasi rend Magyarországon [Gül Baba and the Bektashi Order of Dervishes in Hungary]. Budapest: Terebess, 2002.
- Gábor Ágoston, Teréz Oborni. A tizenhetedik század története [Hungary in the 17th Century]. Budapest: Pannonica, 2000.
Research Interests: The history of the Italian South in the early modern period (1400-1800)
- Between Salt Water and Holy Water: A History of the New Italian South. York: W.W. Norton, 2005
- Village Justice. Community, Family, and Popular Culture in Early Modern Italy. Baltimore-London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1999
- The Continuity of Feudal Power: The Caracciolo di Brienza in Spanish Naples. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
Research Interests: intellectual and cultural history; the cult of the saints, especially hagiographical compositions by Renaissance humanists in Germany; relationship between magic, religion and science
- Reforming Saints: Saints’ Lives and Their Authors in Germany, 1470-1530.
- Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008
- "Medieval Magic: History and Historiography." History Compass 9 (2011): 410-422
- "Necromancers and Saints from Simon Magus to Albertus Magnus." Hagiotheca 2 (2010): 219-233
- The State in Early Modern France, 2nd edition. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- From Tribes to Nation: The Making of France, 500-1799. Toronto: Wadsworth, 2002.
- The Ancien Regime and the French Revolution. Toronto: Wadsworth, 2002.
Research Interests: history and transmission of ideas and culture
- Reginald Zelnik. Lichnost’, protest, istoriia: sbornik statei [The Individual, Protest, and History: collected articles]. St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriia (Academy of Sciences Press), 2007.
- Evtuhov, Catherine, David Goldfrank, Lindsey Hughes and Richard Stites. A History of Russia: Peoples, Legends, Events, Forces. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin Co., 2004.
- Evtuhov, Catherine and Richard Stites. A History of Russia: Peoples, Legends, Events, Forces - Since 1800. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin Co., 2003.
Research Interests: the early modern world
- Witchcraft in Early North America. New York: Rowman and Littlefield, 2010.
- The Web of Empire: English Cosmopolitans in an Age of Expansion, 1560-1660. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Douglas R. Egerton, Alison Games, Kris Lane, and Donald R. Wright. The Atlantic World: A History, 1400-1888. Wheeling, IL: Harlan Davidson, 2007.
Research Interests: early Russian history and imperial foreign policy
- The Origins of the Crimean War (Origins of Modern Wars). Longman Group, 1994.
Research Interests: Early Modern East Central Europe, Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth
- Republic versus Autocracy: Poland-Lithuania and Russia in the Late Seventeenth Century. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1994.
Research Interests: Early Modern Germany, the Reformation, Gender
- Nails in the Wall: Catholic Nuns in Reformation Germany. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2005.
- "Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice: Gender Difference in German Primary School Education." Attending to Early Modern Women–and Men. Ed. Amy Leonard; Karen Nelson. Newark: University of Delaware Press, 2011.
- "The Personal is Political: Convents in the Holy Roman Empire." Politics and Reformation: Studies in Honor of Thomas A. Brady, Jr. . Ed. Christopher Ocker. Leiden: Brill, 2007
Research Interests: Renaissance and Reformation, Medieval, Early modern England
- Jo Ann H. Moran Cruz and Richard Gerberding. Medieval Worlds: An Introduction to European History, 300-1492. Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton-Mifflin, 2004.
- The Growth of English Schooling 1340-1548: Learning, Literacy and Laicization in pre-Reformation York Diocese. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1985.
Research Interests: European science and technology (17th-20th century), Modern European intellectual history
- Physics as a Calling: Discipline and Practice in the Koenigsberg Seminar for Physics. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1991.
- "Geopolitics and Prussian Technical Education in the Late-Eighteenth Century." Actes d’ Història de la Ciència i de la Tèchnica 2.2 (2009): 11-44.
- "The World We Have Lost: History as Art." Isis 98 (2007): 760-768.
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.